Thursday, February 16, 2006

You busy?

I've almost become obsessed with the implications of almost everybody saying how busy they are and *really thinking* they *really are* busy.

But they aren't . YOU ARE NOT BUSY! Sure, you are OCCUPIED with activities and sure a FEW people out there really are busy, but most folks should more honestly report "I'm prioritizing stupid assed things that I hold dear" than complain about how little time they have to get things done.

There are 24 hours in a day and only about 10 of them are taken up by "necessary" things like sleep, dressing, making meals, and errands required for life (groceries). Conventional workers will have another 8-9 hours for work and commute M-F. If you have KIDS then you have more things that are reasonably considered "necessary", but most kid related errands do NOT stem from necessity, rather from choices and preferences and .... stupid assed priorities that are generally not strategically designed to save time. Also, in many families the caregiver for the kids does NOT work full time and/or things like daycare provide some relief from errands.

I'm looking for time and motion studies to see what it is we do during all that extra time we have on our hands. I suspect TV is the big "time eater" for many and for onliners silly things like blogging or news searches.

I'm NOT saying doing things you hold dear is a bad thing - I just wish people would stop acting like they are "prisoners" of their terribly busy life rather than prisoners to their silly assed priorities.

JoeDuck's Blog

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just as natural environments have ecosystems so do stupid assed choices. I don't have to volunteer for Meals on Wheels but once I do, someone will go hungary if I don't show up. Once I volunteer to play cards with a group, several people will be affected if I say, "I'm not busy, I don't have to do that."

Saturday, February 18, 2006 8:40:00 PM  
Blogger Joseph Hunkins said...

Hey, you sound familiar!?

It's a good point and I may be too harsh to call "choices" stupid, though I include my choices to watch TV, play Ping Pong, etc. I'm OK if a volunteer says they are busy with helping others.

Saturday, February 18, 2006 10:53:00 PM  
Blogger Joseph Hunkins said...

Hey, you sound familiar!?

It's a good point and I may be too harsh to call "choices" stupid, though I include my choices to watch TV, play Ping Pong, etc. I'm OK if a volunteer says they are busy with helping others.

Saturday, February 18, 2006 10:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home